Sunday, December 25, 2011

Winter blessings from the river—rain

It is winter and in some rebellious act of nature the temperature outside is in the 20s and it is raining. How is this possible? Shouldn’t  it be snowing? Maybe this is another example of quantum physics. The result is affected by the one observing; we need rain! Or the result of the Space Station soaring overhead. I’m wondering if I’ve discovered Nature is alive and capable of reacting...

It's winter and the river is running fast and clear ... 
I’m sitting within 3 feet of the fire in my wood stove, wearing layers of clothes, generating on my laptop and waiting for the house to warm up enough to move my chair back.
My big black lab and small blue heeler/black lab are on their beds even closer to the fire, snoozing and storing up energy for the promised trek to the river bank where delicious smelly dead fish await. A not so faint odor of ripe salmon emanates from the big dog who has already checked out a location.

From the window I notice a hawk perched in a pine tree scanning the meadow. It must be waiting the emergence of a mouse or a ground squirrel or maybe a hare looking for shelter. Most of the smaller animals are hunkered down and hibernating in this frigid weather.

Interacting daily with the life force inhabiting this special place on the river fills me with gratitude at witnessing  a realm outside my safe house.  Even watching two crows chase an osprey across the meadow makes me laugh out loud and wishing I had the know-how to capture it for show and tell. And yes I cringe in a wind storm at my lack of control as to where the tree falls next to my bedroom.

I'm never bored here and only occasionally do I leave for mail and groceries.  Life on the river is constantly changing...the beach comes and goes, big boulders and huge trees crash and hurtle in the powerful current at peak snow melt and summer comes again with clear, slow moving pools.

My hope is this blog will bring back special memories of your stay here. Blessings to each of you who have participated in this magical Hideaway.